Tuesday 19 August 2014

Honey almond (and raisin) oat biscuits. As versatile as they are moorish.

I'm totally addicted to both honey and almonds so when I was left home alone on Friday evening this was bound to happen! In fact, I don't think I even made a decision to bake...I'm sure I only got up to make a cup of tea.


I was so pleased with these honey almond oat biscuits I made as a Friday night treat that I made them again with raisins on Saturday morning to take to a children's birthday party! 

One versatile recipe coming up...


 Recipe (makes 6 biscuits - perfect for a Friday evening binge)
40g almonds (whole with skins - whole for now anyway…muhahaha)
40g plain flour
25g oats
45g caster sugar

35g Stork (buta as I call it)
1 tbsp honey (lick the spoon after - you will be filled with happiness)

1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tsp boiling water

Method

1.      As always, the necessarily practical part first: baking paper on a tray. Oven set to 150C fan (160C if not assisted). Sorted.

2.      Pop your almonds inside a food bag and place on a chopping board. Hold the opening of the bag closed to avoid mess (don't tie it shut or you may cause your food bag to explode!) Gently but with purpose hit / chop the almonds with a heavy knife. This should miraculously chop the almonds and leave the bag reasonable intact! Mess free: the way I like my kitchen.

3.      While you are still tripping from the magic of cutting the almonds without cutting the plastic bag, pop them in a large bowl on your scales so you can add and mix in your oats, sugar and sifted flour.



4.      On the hob very gently melt your butter and honey into each other. Beautiful!



5.      Drop in your bicarbonate of soda and boiling water into your honey-butter mix (you may want to giggle at this point because the frothy fizzing is all very exciting), stir it in and then pour this immediately into your dry ingredient mixture and combine well.

6.      Get yourself a little messy rolling the mixture into inch diameter balls and give them a squish down on your parchment. Keep in mind they will spread because of the honey yumminess so don't put them too close together or you will end up with one massive tray bake (but if you don't want to share then go ahead!)



(Note: This is a picture of the raisin version and is a stickier mixture)

7.      Bung 'em in the oven fur tweny mins. 

8.      Leave them on the tray for 5 mins when you get them out of the oven (they will be a little gooey until they have some cooling time).


Transfer to a cooling tray using a fish slice to finish cooling. 


9.      Eat entire batch in one sitting. Joke!

These are so yummy! I just made them on auto-pilot but they were such a success. If you want to make 2 dozen instead just times up the recipe by 4. 

And if you don't like almonds (in the first instance try them again because they are amazing) or, if like me you just don't want to risk triggering a nut allergy at a children's party, then you might like to try them with raisins. Just use raisins instead of almonds and keep in mind that it will make a stickier mixture. 

Next time I am going to make them with honey, almonds AND raisins. I know. I spoil myself. 

I hope you go Nuts for these almond biscuits!


Cake Love, Fayerie Faye x

No comments:

Post a Comment